Who We Are
New York City Children’s Theater (NYCCT) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote children’s literacy and social development through accessible professional theater productions and arts-in-education programs. We reach a diverse population of children and engage them through a full spectrum of theater activities built around children’s books, including professional productions; weekend classes; and arts-in-education programs in schools, homeless shelters, libraries, and community centers across the five boroughs.
New York City Children’s Theater programs cultivate children’s growth in the areas of emotional intelligence, community building, and responsible decision-making. The result is empathetic, creative, and independent thinkers who make a positive impact on their world.
Why We Serve
Service on the New York City Children’s Theater Board offers an ideal opportunity to use your skills and passion to make a difference in the lives of children and families. Over the past 25 years, New York City Children’s Theater has enriched the lives of more than 400,000 children and adults in all five boroughs and surrounding communities. If you believe the arts are a critical component of a well-rounded education, and understand that theater can help children develop literacy and their social, emotional and cognitive skills, serving on the New York City Children’s Theater Board is a way to make sure that children in New York City and beyond continue to have access to quality live theater productions and robust arts-in-education programs and their benefits.
By serving on the NYCCT Board, you will:
- Make a positive impact on the lives of children and families across all socioeconomic statuses
- Promote quality arts-in-education programs for young students in pre-school to middle schools; we partner with more than 70 elementary schools, community centers, and homeless shelters to bring theater to over 15,000 children each year
- Support arts educators; we train our professional teaching artists to work with young people and pay them a competitive wage
- Ensure that more children have access to the arts, especially those from underserved communities, and provide arts resources to families who would not otherwise receive them
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the creation and presentation of professional theater productions and programs
- Collaborate with other talented, passionate professionals on the New York City Children’s Theater Board, hone your skills and expand your network
- Enjoy a collegial working relationship with the New York City Children’s Theater Board and a dedicated, responsive Executive Director, Artistic Director, and staff
Board Director Qualifications
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about New York City Children’s Theater’s mission and has a track record of or an interest in nonprofit board service. Selected Board Directors will come from all industries, ranging from business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her/their accomplishments will allow him/her/they to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Directors.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional or personal experience and accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, the nonprofit sector, or the arts
- A commitment to and understanding of New York City Children’s Theater’s mission, vision, and goals
- A natural affinity for cultivating relationships and building consensus among diverse individuals
- A strong network of personal and professional contacts
- A general comfort with development and fundraising
In addition, candidates that have a background or expertise in any of the following will be preferred:
- Theater Production and Management
- Real Estate
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Human Resources
- Media and Entertainment
- Social Work/Behavioral and Mental Health
Service on New York City Children’s Theater’s Board of Directors is without remuneration.
Board Director Responsibilities include:
- Promoting and maintaining the organization’s vision, mission, and direction
- Representing New York City Children’s Theater to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring the financial health of the organization
- Attending board meetings and actively participating in at least one committee
- Promoting and attending the annual fundraising Gala
- Providing advice, counsel, and support to the Executive Director, Artistic Director, and other senior executives
- Establishing measures of organizational performance and utilizing those measures to ensure senior management accountability
- Making a meaningful annual financial contribution
- Assisting the Board Chair, Nominating Committee, and Executive Director in identifying and recruiting new Board Directors
- Ensuring New York City Children’s Theater’s commitment to a diverse organization that reflects the communities we serve
Board Directors will consider New York City Children’s Theater a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that New York City Children’s Theater can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, New York City Children’s Theater expects to have 100 percent of Board Directors make an annual contribution commensurate with the giving minimum.
- Board Directors will serve a three-year term, and will be eligible for re-appointment for additional terms
- Board meetings are held on average six times a year and can be attended in person or virtually
- Board committee meetings are held monthly or as needed
Current Board Committees include Executive Committee; Nominating Committee; Finance & Audit Committee; Development Committee; Gala Committee; and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access (DEIA) Committee